Monday, November 5, 2018

Today's Thankful For Books Reading Challenge is Did Not Finish.  

I try to be a little picky when I start a book and avoid harsh language, sex or bad violence.  And any of those things can make a book end up in my DNF pile.  Occasionally a book ends up there for other reasons though and that is one I'll highlight today.  
I couldn't bear to finish Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded by Samuel Richardson. 
 Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded
I try not to be too harsh in reviewing books unless there is something I feel really strongly about. And this book got a harsh review from me and others.  Some liked the book, probably because it was considered groundbreaking and "marked a defining moment in the emergence of the modern novel". But it only has 2.78 stars on GoodReads so I'd have to say not a big hit among the GR members of today. 
This is the review I wrote on GoodReads about this book:

I forced myself through the first half of the book and then set it aside and never picked it up again except to shove it back on the shelf. It seemed to me to be pages and pages about the merits of virtue and its importance to Pamela and then she unbelievably is suddenly in love with he that would have taken her virtue from her which included attempted rape. What? I found I could skip pages when the author once again expounds on the importance of virtue because there were many pages that repeated the mantra. I thought Pamela was an insipid character that I could not love pursued by a horrible man who I found unlovable. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. Unless of course you enjoy boring and insipid. 

So yeah, sadly this book is on my most hated bookshelf.

#TFBRC #dnf

No comments: