Saturday, October 29, 2011

Happy 59th Anniversary

                                                         Today marks my parent's 59th wedding anniversary.

Wedding Picture
I always thought they were a very handsome couple.  Movie star quality looks... My dad was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and met my mother while serving in Sweden.  He brought her home with him when he returned to America.  Just a little souvenir? I think my mother was very brave to leave her homeland and family.  In those days one traveled by ship.  She didn't know if she'd ever see her family again. As flying became common she did see her family a number of times but it was not very often.  Long distance phone calls were incredibly expensive. No internet, no Skype, no texting, ... Her main communication with her family was by handwritten letters.  I think Sweden must have felt very far away for her.