Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving post 17



Today I am thankful for the wonderful neighborhood I live in.  I have such good friends and neighbors here.  I'm not the only one who thinks so.  I've found that a whole lot of people around me have lived in several houses in the neighborhood.  These people may have outgrown their house or needed to move for whatever reason but don't want to leave the neighborhood. 

Yesterday I woke up sick and through the day had multiple offers to help out in one way or another.  I just have a sore throat and I don't have young children depending on me so I really didn't need anything but how nice to know I can call anyone.  The call I got this afternoon made me smile the biggest.  After checking to see how I was doing and so forth we hung up with her telling me to call if I needed anything.  My thought was, "Yeah, that is exactly who I will call for help; an 83 year old woman with a broken rib."   So sweet of her to offer. 


This tendency toward assisting neighbors is pervasive.  My responsibility at church is to organize service when anyone is in need.  Can I just say that I do almost nothing? Every time I hear about someone in need, I call to see what we can do, only to find out that people are already bringing in meals and taking care of everything without being asked.  They don't wait to be organized.  They see a need and take care of it.

Yes, I live in a wonderful neighborhood.  Thank you friends.

No comments: