Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving post 18

Today I'm thankful to be a part of the Madison Education Foundation.  I got to go to Burton Elementary school this morning and present an award to an employee who was nominated by the principal for MEF's Excellence in Education.  I got to do this because I'm on the board for the foundation.

 I'm thankful to be on the board and to help support our school district.  My specific responsibility on the board is to oversee the grants.  I think it is the best job to have because I get to hand the grant recipients their checks. Giving away money is fun. Everyone likes the person that gives them money.  Being on the board has been very rewarding as we see how we have assisted educators in their work.

I got to go back to the school again this afternoon and be a part of the ribbon cutting of the school's  new handicap access playground.  We were invited to be there because the foundation donated for the cause.  That was one of the most rewarding experiences yet in my time on the board.  The children did a program talking about the playground that highlighted how they can now play with their friends who are handicapped. Those that can't walk, previously had to sit and watch others play but now everyone can participate.  It was very sweet and touching.  I had a lump in my throat through the entire program.  I left feeling like all my time on the board was worth it just to experience that one hour. 

If anyone is interested in serving on the board let me know. It has been a great experience for me.

No comments: